With the sun still shining and teasing us to go on outdoor adventures, Avarca sandals are fast becoming the hottest footwear of 2021. If you aren’t up to date with the latest shoe trend, an Avarca refers to traditional sandals made in the Balearic Islands. Also known as Menorquinas, this stylish footwear was named as such to honour its region of origin- Menorca, Spain.
Avarca sandals are open toe footwear that is the perfect shoe in the summer and spring months. Spain is teeming with businesses that specialize in the design and manufacturing of Avarca sandals. They come in a variety of colours, textures, sizes, and price points. It’s commonplace in Menorca, a region that enjoys the perfect Mediterranean weather. Although an Avarca is aptly categorised as sandals, they are extremely durable and are an excellent value for money. In this article, we will learn more about the rich history and tradition of Avarca sandals.
How did the Avarca Sandals come about?
The Avarca sandals were made and first worn by the farmers of the Balearic Islands in Menorca, Spain. They were originally designed to be worn by the farmers for work purposes. These peasant shoes were originally manufactured using discarded animal leather, but mostly from oxen. Ox leather was regarded as sturdy and was the right material for farmers who worked hard labour. The leather from oxen was also known to be soft but had the positive characteristic of being hard-wearing. Unlike modern Avarca sandals, the original versions of the sandals were exclusively made from leather and 100% handcrafted. It was the perfect shoes to wear during the summer and spring months, thanks to its open-toe design. It wasn’t the best sandals to wear during colder months as the majority of the feet are exposed to the environment; hence not as insulating as boots or closed-toe sandals. Farmers back in the day resolved this issue by stuffing the holes with dry straw to keep their feet warm.
Menorca has a rich history of shoemaking. To this day, many shoemakers in Menorca still produce handcrafted Avarca sandals and export them to countries around the world. What was originally a peasant shoe is now one of the hottest shoe trends in many countries across the globe. It’s a comfortable sandal that will keep the feet cool during blistering summers and even a very versatile pair as it can be worn during hikes and long outdoor walks. The Menorquinas or Avarcas in the 21st century is made from a soft leather upper and rubber sole.
Modern-Day Avarca Sandals
Avarca sandals are unisex, in that both men and women can wear. The modern woman loves the Avarcas due to its style, comfort, and practicality. Quality Avarcas are handcrafted from fine, genuine leather. The designs are plenty; hence women can choose from a wide range of colours and styles- from Avarca sandals in traditional neutral colours to Avarca sandals featuring rich colours and vibrant prints. There are even Avarca sandals with embellishments and glitter, too.
What was once a pair of sandals for the peasant have now become the most on-trend pair of shoes featured in fashion magazines and catwalks. The major selling point of Avarca comes from its inherent qualities- comfort and practicality. You don’t have to worry about developing blisters from wearing them all day. The soles are comfortable, so wearers do not run the risk of injury or strain their feet over time. They are extremely versatile in that you can wear them with just about anything.
Superior-quality Avarca sandals can last for many years. With regular cleaning and upkeep, you can rest assured an Avarca will be a staple in your shoe wardrobe not only during hot summer months or spring - but all-year-round.
Avarca Sandals Care Instructions
Original Leather, Metallic, and Glittered Leather
- Use a dry cloth to remove dirt and lightly damp cloth to get rid of dirt.
- Make sure to air dry leather Avarca sandals but keep it away from direct sunlight to avoid damaging the leather.
- If you want to weatherproof your Avarcas, we recommend using a water and stain repellent spray. Do not forget to place a cloth or paper inside the sandals to avoid staining the sole of the shoes.
Suede or Nubuck Leathers
- To remove dirt spots and smudges, use a clean rubber pencil eraser. Make sure to be gentle in rubbing the leather to prevent scratches from developing.
- Brush off the residue lightly using a soft brush. Brush in the same direction to retain a single colour appearance.
- Never use a wire brush or any type of polishing product when cleaning suede and nubuck leather Avarcas.
Pony Hair Leather
- Using a damp cloth, you can wipe dirt from the surface of pony hair leather Avarcas. Make sure not to make it too wet as this can damage the integrity and affect the appearance of the leather.
- You can use a water and stain repellent product to protect your sandals from wear and tear. Make sure to use a product that is specially formulated for pony hair leather.
- To remove stubborn stains, make sure to air-dry the sandals before brushing off dirt and imperfections with a soft brush.
To check out the most stylish Avarcas, please check out our collection here. Antipodas Brands features a wide selection of Avarca sandals that are handcrafted by the best shoemakers in Spain. We are a stockist of quality and affordable Avarca Sandals in Sydney’s Northern Beaches. If you have enquiries or if you wish to learn more about the other shoe collections that we offer, call our direct line on +61 451 663 662 today.